Saturday, September 26, 2009

RUNNIN' LIKE A DOG

When I completed my regular stretching routine this morning, I walked out into our beautiful garden to take in what was turning out to be one of those glorious high desert fall days. I thought, What a day to go to the track! I immediately called my life long bud, Jim, he instantly changed his plans, and we were on.

We met at the Santa Fe High School track an hour later for a bout of interval training. Jim had to be at a wedding in less than two hours, so we decided on sprinting repeat short distances at a fast rate. Well, fast for two dudes in their mid sixties.

As usual, my other best friend was tagging and wagging along---my Labradoodle, Howdy (Howdy Doodle). To say the least, he is exuberant about life. I was watching the joy on his face as he ran circles around us. I was thinking, why can't I be that happy with such a simple pleasure?

And then it occured to me that I absolutely was that happy, that joyful. I was outside in the warm New Mexico sun, with my two best friends, running and laughing and getting ecstatically breathless. I was adding so much to my well-being on so many levels, and it didn't cost a dime.

That was what I was talking about in an earlier posting when I said exercise routines need to be fun, not really routine at all. Now, I know that every trip to the gym or every time you push "Play" on your remote to fire up your current exercise video is not going to bring this level of satisfaction. However, if you are not at least approaching this cheerful state at least 25% of the time, I suggest you give some serious thought to what types of recreation (read re-creation) you can do for yourself that will provide the exercise you need for the body, while tickling those powerful intangibles that make you really, really happy. Even it is just for a few minutes each week, it is just flat out good for the whole being. And, it is so motivational to keeping up the good work. Kinda like when I scratch Howdy behind the ears and say "good boy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment